Help free them from this mess
You can help protect marine life from the mess of ghost gear
One tonne of lost, abandoned and discarded fishing gear – known as ‘ghost’ gear – enters our oceans every minute.
2,400 tonnes of ghost gear is estimated to be lost or discarded each year in Australian waters.
Ghost gear kills more than 130,000 seals, whales, and dolphins each year, and mutilates thousands of others.
Young seals often accidentally put their heads through plastic ropes or loops which then become firmly fixed around their necks causing painful wounds that can become severely infected. Sometimes the constriction can sever arteries or cause strangulation.
Together we can turn the tide of suffering for sea animals.
Our “Sea Change” campaign aims to achieve measurable and sustainable change by reducing and removing the volume of fishing gear in the oceans and enabling the rescue of entangled animals.
We work with local projects around the world like Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary in Scotland’s remote Shetland Islands, the only sanctuary in that area giving lifesaving support to vulnerable sea animals.
Hillswick have a given us a list of desperately needed building works and equipment, that would help them rescue and rehabilitate more animals in need.
Your generous gift could help:
- build a new otter unit at Hillswick – giving injured sea otters an area to heal and play until well enough for release,
- replace the seal recovery pool at Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary – ensuring rescued seals become strong enough to swim in the wild again as fast as possible.
- complete the seal rehabilitation unit at Hillswick – giving injured seals a safe place to heal and be cared for.
- continue our campaign to reduce and remove ghost fishing gear from our oceans and rescue entangled sea life around the world.
Thank you for all you do to move the world to protect animals.
* Your donation will help protect animals around the world
$37 could help build a new otter unit.
$76 could help replace the seal recovery pool.
$119 could help complete the seal rehabilitation unit.
Where your money goes
World Animal Protection has been protecting animals for over 50 years and we passionately believe that animals matter. With your support, we’ll go where animal suffering is most far reaching and animal cruelty is most severe.
In 2017, 87% of funds raised went towards protecting animals in our four areas of work. We strive to ensure your vital donations make the largest impact for animals and help achieve lasting change.
* These figures are in local currency and taken from the New Zealand 2017 audited accounts.
- Programs = 87%
- Fundraising = 11%
- Admin = 2%